Wedang Serbat, the Nearly Extinct Body Warmer Drink"Wedang sherbet is good to drink when it's warm. When it's raining or in mountainous areas, wedang sherbet is mostly drunk to warm up the body. However, apart from that, wedang sherbet is also suitable for relieving aches, flatulence, and colds."
Published by : Kurnia HD - 10/02/2020 08:00 WIB
2 Minutes read.
Wedang serbat has a slightly hot tastes compared to other types of wedang (hot drinks). Serbat has a punchy spicy taste which comes from a combination of cloves, pepper and cardamom.
Image source: https://today.line.me/
According to several literatures, wedang serbat comes from Solo, Central Java. Although finding wedang serbat in Solo is currently quite difficult. Wedang serbat is less popular than wedang ronde and wedang asle which are very easy to find in the city of Solo. However, you don’t need to worry, because you can make your own wedang serbat with the following recipe:
- 400 g Coconut sugar or palm sugar
- 150 g Ginger
- 200 g Kolang kaling (processed seeds of palm sugar fruits)
- 1 stick Lemongrass
- 3 g Pepper powder
- 5 cardamoms (seeds removed)
- 5 cloves
- 2 pieces Cinnamon
- 2 lt water
- Salt to taste
How to make:
- Wash and peel the ginger by scraping the skin. Once clean, burn ginger and sliced thinly or crushed.
- Boil water
- Place the ginger and other spices in the boiling water for 15 minutes (using low heat).
- Enter the salt, sugar, and kolang-kaling during boiling.
- Stir until sugar dissolves
- Strain the brew into a glass, and slowly enter the kolang kaling stew into the glass.
- Wait until it’s warmer to serve
Sunaryo, Endang S. 2015. Minuman Tradisional Penguat Kekebalan Tubuh. Jakarta: PT Elex Media Komputindo.
https://khazanah.republika.co.id/berita/dunia-islam/islam-digest/prh8jh313/mengenal-serbat-minuman-populer-di-dunia-islam (diakses pada tanggal 8 November 2019).
https://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbat (diakses pada tanggal 8 November 2019).